Free Tax Preparation
Now Open for Virtual- Drop-Off Services from the week June 8th
Call 925-560-9431 for an appointment
We have been waiting for the Shelter in Place (SIP) to be lifted but with the new normal and our commitment to help our community we will be offering Drop-off Virtual services, meaning you will be able to leave tax documents with us at the time of the interview and come back a week later to pick them up.
A Few things you should know before your start:
- We will only prepare current year tax returns.
- We will conduct a vigorous interview to avoid missing information.
- We will keep your tax documents for volunteers to prepare your income taxes
- It will take around one week to have your return completed
You must follow the Safety Requirements:
Due to COVID19 health restrictions, since the month of March, the in-person tax preparation service were cancelled, but we want to serve our community, so to do this we will work as a Drop-off Virtual site. This means we must follow the State Safety Requirements and we must ask everyone to do the following:
- Do not come to your appointment if you are sick (fever, cough)
- Do not come to your appointment if you have had contact with someone with a confirmed case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days
- Keep a safe distance of at least 6 feet apart
- Wear a face mask at all times
- Use hand sanitizer
- Contact us if you development Covid-19 symptoms with a week of visit the Career Center
What to do:
- Answer a few question before you call for an appointment click here
- We will depend on you to provide the required information/documentation we need to prepare complete and accurate returns. We may ask you to clarify some items at the time of the interview.
- We will collect personal identification (social security, photo ID or passport, W2, 1099’s and other documents) in order to prepare and quality review your income tax.
- You will participate in an Intake Interview and must have filled out form 13614-C Intake Interview & Quality Review Sheet
- Once your taxes are ready you will receive a phone call from the quality reviewer and together you will review your return. You have the final responsibility for the income tax returns and, therefore, you should review them carefully before you sign them. We are not responsible for the disallowance of doubtful deductions or inadequately supported documentation, nor for resulting taxes, penalties and interest.
Dates & Times of Drop-Off and Pick-Up:
- Wednesday, June 10: drop-off only, 8:00am-1:00pm
- Wednesday, June 17: drop-off only, 8:00am-1:00pm, pick-up 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, June 24: drop-off only, 8:00am-1:00pm, pick-up 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, July 1: drop-off only, 8:00am-1:00pm, pick-up 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, July 8: drop-off only, 8:00am-1:00pm, pick-up 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, July 15: pick-up only, 8:00am-1:00pm
You can file for a tax extension
Do you need more time to file your taxes? You can file for an extension, your taxes will be due by October 15, 2020. This extension gives you an additional three months to file your taxes.
To file for an extension, complete Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You can submit this form online using a free tax filing program (see number 4) or by mail. If you mail the form, get a Certificate of Mailing, or other documentation that shows you mailed the form by July 15. Remember that when you file for an extension you are not exempt to get an extension on your payments. You are still required to pay any taxes you owe by July 15, 2020.
Many VITA sites are closed due to COVID19. You have the option, however, to file for free online: https://www.myfreetaxes.org/
If you earn less than 66,000 you can file your tax returns, https://www.getyourrefund.org/?s=uwba